Best Crypto Margin Exchanges – Summary
- Crypto margin trading is spot trading with leverage (borrowed funds)
- Bybit and Binance are the best crypto margin trading exchanges with high leverage and low fees. In addition, Bybit has the most generous crypto signup bonus.
- Kraken is the best crypto margin trading for US traders.
- Kucoin and Bitget also offer crypto margin trading and good signup bonuses.
Best Margin Trading Crypto Exchanges
- Fee High: The highest fee you can pay
- Fee low: The lowest fee you can pay (VIP levels etc)
- Rate/year: The interest you must pay to borrow funds for leverage
- 24H spot volume: Trading volume in the spot market in the last 24 hours.
➤With Binance, Kucoin, and Bitget, you can achieve lower prices by paying the trading fees in their native token (20-25% fee rebate)
➤With Binance, Kucoin, Bitget, and Gate.io, you can get a 20% discount on spot trading fees by signing up with our referral promo codes.
What is Crypto Margin Trading?
➤Margin trading is another name for trading with borrowed funds.
➤This is done on the spot market with leverage using borrowed funds.
Margin trading enables traders to enhance their profits on successful trades since you can use leverage, usually up to 10x.
“Margin” refers to the number of the trader’s funds in his margin account (collateral). So, naturally, the bigger the collateral, the more funds the trader can borrow from the exchange to leverage.
What is crypto margin collateral?
Since you are borrowing funds when you do crypto margin trading the borrower needs some insurance to receive these funds. Therefore, you need some assets kept in your margin trading account to cover potential losses. In other words, when you borrow money to trade on margin, your account balance will act as collateral.
There are two different types of collateral
- Cross margin collateral: Margin is shared between open positions with the same settlement cryptocurrency. If needed, a position will draw more margin from the total account balance of the corresponding cryptocurrency to avoid liquidation.
- Isolated margin collateral: Here, each pair is a separate margin account.
Is crypto margin trading allowed in the US?
Kraken allows U.S. clients to do margin trading.
Some crypto exchanges allow people to trade with non-KYC requirements. This is always performed at your own risk.
What is a crypto margin call?
If a crypto margin trading position is reduced in value, more collateral must be applied to a position (or a reduction of leverage).
Such margin costs can add up quickly. This is called a margin call. The higher the ratio, the faster the margin level can plummet.
How to find the best crypto margin trading exchange?
Ideally, you want the following:
➤Low Spot Trading Fees
➤Low Margin Interest Fees
➤High Spot Trading Volume
In the list and the table below, we announce the best margin trading cryptocurrency exchanges for USA and EU concerning the lowest crypto spot trading fees, margin interest, available trading pairs, and more.
- Binance is the best cryptocurrency margin trading exchange for the EU
- Kraken is the best cryptocurrency margin trading exchange for the USA
- Bybit, OKX, and Bitget have the best crypto signup bonuses.
- Kucoin offers a peer-to-peer market for margin borrowing; therefore, comparing the margin interest fee is hard.
Bybit Margin Trading
- Margin trading fees: Margin trading on Bybit incurs Spot trading fees, interest, and position closing fees.
- What account to use for margin trading? Margin trading will require you to collateralize crypto assets to borrow leverage on Bybit’s Spot account.
- Margin Insurance Fund:
The Margin Insurance Fund (MAF) covers the loss of a trader’s position after the forced liquidation of a position is carried out, due to insufficient funds in the account, in order to repay the loan.
If your Spot account becomes insolvent, the platform will use the MAF to cover your debt. Therefore, a liquidation fee will be levied to cover the cost of the MAF.
Read the full information about the Bybit margin trading.
Bybit Margin Trading Interest Fees
*Bybit daily margin trading interest fees.
**Bybit yearly margin trading interest fees.
Binance Margin Trading Summary
- Binance margin trading pairs:
600+ Trading Pair
- Binance insurance fund: An insurance fund protects your account when your equity (assets-liabilities) is lower than 0 or the assets of the pledged currency borrowing orders are insolvent.
- Isolated and Cross margin collateral
Read the full information about Binance margin trading.
Binance Margin Trading Interest Fees
*Binance daily margin trading interest fees.
**What the daily fee corresponds in a yearly fee (daily*365)
Kucoin Margin Trading Summary
- Kucoin has an open peer-to-peer market where traders can lend their idle cryptocurrencies to earn interest from the margin and leverage traders.
Bitget Margin Trading Summary
Bitget offer 2 borrowing options
We offer two borrowing modes:
A: Manual borrowing: Click the “Borrow” button to set the token and amount you want to borrow.
B: Auto-borrowing: Enable the auto-borrowing function, and the system will automatically borrow funds beyond the principal amount based on the trading amount you input when you trade.
Bitget Cross Margin Interest Fees
Gate io Margin Interest Trading Fees
Gate io has an open peer-to-peer market where traders can lend their idle cryptocurrencies to earn interest from the margin and leverage traders.
Therefore, interest rates are very dynamic and change all the time.
Kraken Margin Interest Trading Fees
Kraken uses a different margin trading fee structure and can be hard to compare to other crypto margin exchanges.
Does Kraken allow US citizens to trade with margin?
For U.S. clients to be eligible for margin trading on Kraken, they will need to self-certify as an Eligible Contract Participant (ECP) as defined under U.S. law (Section 1a(18) of the Commodity Exchange Act).
*Kraken charges between 0.01% and 0.02% to open a position.
**Kraken margin rollover fees occur every 4 hours the position remains open.
Margin Trading Cryptocurrency Fees
Margin trading cryptocurrency fees are charged as
- Spot Trading Fees
- Crypto Margin Interest
- Rollover Fee
- Crypto Margin Opening Fee
Since we have compared spot trading fees in another article and Kraken is the only platform charging opening fees, we will cover margin interest rates here.
What are crypto margin spot trading fees?
Crypto margin trading is done from the spot order book. Here, you pay the crypto spot trading fees to execute an order.
What is crypto margin interest?
Margin interest is due on loans made between you and your lender.
Example: If you buy Bitcoin for $1000 with 3x leverage, you must borrow $2000. Now, you also have to pay interest on these funds.
How to calculate the margin of daily interest VS hourly interest?
The margin account interest rate is sometimes calculated hourly and every 4 hours (or any other interval).
Kraken charges every four hours, while Binance charges every hour.
If the daily interest rate is 0.02%, the hourly interest rate is calculated as 0.02%/24.
The calculation formula: I (interest) = P (borrowed money) * R (daily interest 0.02%/24) * T (in hours)
What is a crypto margin rollover fee?
Some exchanges charge a rollover fee to keep a crypto margin trading position open.
For example, Kraken charges up to 0.02% (per 4 hours) in rollover fees to keep a margin trading position open.
What is the crypto margin opening fee?
Some exchanges are charging an opening fee for cryptocurrency margin trading.
For example, Kraken charges up to 0.02% in the opening fee.
Margin Trading Cryptocurrency Interest Rates
It’s very important to understand the margin trading cryptocurrency interest rates to be profitable.
- Some exchanges announce daily margin interest rates but charge on an hourly basis (For example Binance)
- Other exchanges give their interest rate as a rollover fee charged every 4 hours (Kraken)
- Kraken charges 0.02% every 4 hours in rollover fee for most cryptocurrencies. In addition, they charge 0.02% in opening fees (in addition to spot market fees) for most cryptocurrencies. This will end up in around 0.12% daily margin interest rate (6*0.02%).
- Binance charges around 0.02% daily interest rate for margin trading cryptocurrencies. However, they charge this fee on an hourly basis.
- Kucoin has a peer-to-peer market where you lend funds for margin trading. It means the margin interest rate is dynamic.
The easiest way to compare is probably to calculate the daily margin interest rate and compare.
Crypto Margin Trading Risks
Make sure to start crypto margin trading with small amounts and monitor your positions. Once you have made a few profitable trades and cut a few losses you might be ready to advance.
Still, there are many risks with crypto margin trading. We have summarized some of the risks in the table below. Also, read our general article about crypto trading risk management.